In the spring of 1994, the Arizona Department of Commerce was awarded a Shelter Plus Care grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the provision of tenant-based rental assistance for homeless persons with serious mental illness.
This grant provided funding for 300 households in Maricopa County. The Department of Commerce partnered with the Maricopa County Regional Behavioral Health Authority (RBHA) to provide the supportive service component of the grant and overall grant administration. The RBHA needed a professional housing provider with experience in the administration and operation of affordable housing programs. Under the leadership of Sharon Shore who was distinctly qualified to fill the need, HOM was established in July 1994.
HOM, Inc., in partnership with the Arizona Behavioral Health Corporation (ABC) is the largest provider of Permanent Supportive Housing in the state of Arizona and one of the largest in the country. Since its inception in 1994, HOM has provided thousands of individuals and families with housing assistance.
HOM possesses an excellent working knowledge of housing laws, including Arizona residential tenancy law, state and federal fair housing laws and federal regulations and guidance applicable to its housing programs.
This knowledge is derived from:
- 20 years of professional experience in operating housing programs
- A commitment to continuing education and training for staff
- The recruiting of staff members from the real estate and assisted housing industry
- Strong professional relationships with legal and advocacy organizations in the community
- Membership in industry organizations focused on developing capacity and enhancing the
professional development of its members
HOM is committed to full compliance with all federal, state and local nondiscrimination laws, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development regulations governing Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.
Through our membership in the state and national chapters of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO), the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness, Arizona Multihousing Association (AMA) local, state and National Association of Realtors, and our ongoing learning from organizations like the National Alliance to End Homelessness, United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, Community Solutions, OrgCode Consulting and CSH, HOM has access to tremendous resources in maintaining an understanding of housing laws and best practices in ending homelessness.
Certifications, Licenses and Professional Memberships
The HOM team possesses a magnitude of experience in the affordable housing industry and maintains the following certifications and licenses:
Certifications and Licenses
- Certified Section 8 Housing Manager (SHM)
- Certified PHA Financial Management
- Certified Section 8 Financial Management
- Certified Housing Specialist - Occupancy & Eligibility
- Certified Public Housing Manager (PHM)
- Certified Occupancy Specialist
- Certified Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspector
- Certified Credit Compliance Professional for the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program administered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Arizona Real Estate Broker and Sales licenses